• September 14Order your Yearbook Today!

• September 14Journalism is happy to introduce its new sponsor: David Baroffio!

Bandera Loses Dog Fight to Burnett

Andrew Zimmel, Contributor

The Bandera Girls Volleyball team hosted their first home game last Friday, August 21st, against the Burnett Bulldogs. The Volleyball team had just come off a Spikefest Volleyball tournament doing well against tough opponents the week before.

In the first set the Bandera started good scoring the first points of the contest, but slowly lost rhythm after Burnett scored multiple times in a row. The Dogs fought hard however, being able to make the game at its closest a one point game. Senior Marleigh Thompson and Junior Peyton Mooney both did an excellent job on the offensive and defensive sides of the game, making it as difficult as possible for Burnett and scoring for the Bulldogs in the clutch. The Lady Dogs lost the first set 25-19.

In the second set Bandera came out firing on all cylinders, the best set for the Bandera by far. After a back and forth beginning of the set, Bandera went on a 10 to two scoring run to put the game out of reach. Junior Morgan Gross and Senior Kalie Mansfield stood out with solid net defense and an enact ability to keep volleys alive. Bandera won the set 25-17 hoping to keep the momentum alive.

The third set was not one that will stay in the memories of the players for long. Burnett started the game scoring seven straight points. With a 12 to 4 score Coach Heiner called a timeout. After that the Bulldogs came out with a new fire cutting the lead to one. Sophomore Catlin Paul showed power spiking the ball in the middle of Burnett players unable to react in time. Even with the rally Burnett won the set 25-17.

With their backs against the wall, the Bulldogs need to pull out a win to play another game in the best of five series. In a back and forth game Bandera struggled losing the set 25-16 and the match three games to one.

Bandera plays their next home game August 25th against Llano Yellow Jackets. Freshmen and Junior Varsity games start at 5p.m. and Varsity starts at 6 p.m.