• September 14Order your Yearbook Today!

• September 14Journalism is happy to introduce its new sponsor: David Baroffio!

Attitude Hinders Student’s Learning

Madison Young, Copy Editor

While it’s true that people need to watch what they say, it’s equally true that they must watch what they mean. For Bandera High School, it means students need to understand the implications of their actions and words, and how those actions and words will relate to their future. While BHS is a small school, it is a well-rounded school. It might not have the stereotypical all-star sports teams, but our runners have gone to state many times, as well as students in UIL academic events, music, and theatre. Bandera is a school that builds success, but not everyone agrees.

It has become more and more apparent that the level of disrespect and contempt for the teachers and for school in general has risen over the years. This attitude is appearing more and more in schools all over the country. Constant questions such as, “Why do I need to know this?” and “I’m too busy for school,” float around the hallway like propaganda in an election. The fact of the matter is, students DON’T KNOW. They are taught all the basic skills considered necessary in American education, then scoff at it and claim they don’t need it. Students are yelling, refusing, and cursing at teachers, then expect to be treated with a level of respect they are not giving to their teachers and peers. While it’s true that one can become successful without high school, the knowledge, work ethic, and social skills that students learn while in high school provide the necessary foundation for college, the workforce, and life.

The problem is, students constantly complain about not understanding the material. This is perfectly acceptable, but the students do nothing to help themselves. They are content to fail and no longer try to get help, then blame the teachers, even though students can come in for tutoring, seek help from another teacher, or get help from their peers. There are many ways to succeed, but in order for any of them to work, students have to help themselves by putting forth the effort. As it says on Señor Stein’s wall, “Teachers can open the door, but students have to choose to walk through it.” If they trip, it is not the teacher’s fault. Excellence begins when the choice to change is made.

When a student says, “This school sucks,” or “I hate it here,” they are attacking the teachers, students, and town itself. Teachers who have been here for years are suddenly demoted in the minds of the students because they gave a hard assignment, while students who like BHS feel bad, because they’ve been included in that horrible statement. Derogatory complaints about teachers, students, and learning buzz through the halls, along with a fair amount of cursing. Why would anyone ever want to think that their school or teachers are horrible? It’s the typical situation that people fall into. Complain, complain, complain, which accomplishes nothing. Actions prove intentions, not whining.

BHS is a wonderful school, and students should be proud to attend. It is no longer a viable option to use the school as a reason for failure. It will not work in the world after college, and it will not work now. Students and teachers should not lose heart, but take pride in their work and school, because the real way to make a change is to lead through example.