• September 14Order your Yearbook Today!

• September 14Journalism is happy to introduce its new sponsor: David Baroffio!

Three advance to State STAR competition

Ashley Skinner, Editor-in-Chief

The FCCLA department recently participated in the regional STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) competition in Corpus Christi where individual entry senior Erin Kuykendall and the partnership of Kristen Tschirhart and Lexi Barton placed for the state tournament in Dallas.

“I am so proud of all my students who competed,” FCCLA sponsor Brenda Huvar said. “Regionals was fun, and State will be great.”

STAR events are competitions in which members are recognized for proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills, and career preparation.

Kuykendall brought home fourth in the Focus on Children competition, while Tschirhart and Barton placed fifth in the National Programs in Action event. In the Focus On Children event, a high school student teaches younger kids a certain subject. National Programs in Action deals with identifying and discussing issues, such as bullying, affecting children nationwide.

“Our project was over anti-bullying in our community,” Tschirhart said. “We were really nervous at first, but once we got into the room we were fine. This was my first time to regionals, and I am excited for my first time at state.”

However, Kuykendall is not a first time participant at state goer. This is her second year to place in the top six, qualifying for state.

“Last year I had 88 points in regionals whereas this year I had 94 advancing me,” Kuykendall said. “At state last year I fell short of placing. I had 92 points, but it wasn’t enough.”

Last year, Kuykendall competed in Focus on Children as well, where she built a big picture book to display her teachings and wrote a speech to talk about how many children she reached. This year, she outdid herself.

Kuykendall built a set of five boxes which she painted black where she velcroed her findings and pictures to display to the judges.

“My project this year took a lot more time to make, and it was very expensive because the boxes were made of plywood, “ Kuykendall said. “The judges liked my project this year much better though, seeing as I did not get many criticisms on my piece, only compliments. I really hope it will be enough to send me to nationals.”

The State competition will be held in Dallas April 7-9, where the students hope to place in the top two in order to advance to the National competition held in San Diego in July.

“The state competition will be very tough, considering the students will be competing against 29 other projects,” Huvar said. “I have never had anyone go to nationals, but I am ready to see what happens.  No matter what, I am so proud of my students.”